Cedar Rapids Xavier pitcher Ryan Sweeney was taken in the second round of the major league baseball draft Tuesday. Sweeney was the 52nd pick overall taken by the Chicago White Sox. Sweeney has committed to play baseball at San Diego State, and had hoped to become the first Iowan taken in the first round of the draft. UNI outfielder Adam Boeve from Doon, Iowa, was taken in the 12th round by the Pirates. James Peterson of Indian Hills Community College and Winterset, was taken in the 16th round by the Dodgers.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- DeSantis hits 99th county, Trump rallies with crowd in two Iowa cities
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime