The Iowa Games summer sports festival begins July 18th in Ames but competition starts this weekend with regional action for the sport of basketball at several locations. Iowa Games executive director Jim Hallihan says four regionals will be held this weekend in Council Bluffs, Davenport, Storm Lake and Cedar Falls. Two regionals will be held the following weekend. All ages participate, from fifth graders to the adult division. Hallihan says it’s the first year for the regional in Council Bluffs.Hallihan says by far the largest division for basketball is the Adult Open because there are so few tournaments for those players to take part in.Hallihan says there are now more opportunities for youth, but adults don’t have that many tournaments in which to compete. Hallihan says some familiar names have taken part in the past. Former Kansas all-star Nick Collison, former Creighton standout Kyle Korver, as well as current Iowa Hawkeyes Greg Brunner and Jeff Horner have all competed in the Iowa Games. Two more regionals will be held next weekend in Des Moines and Iowa City.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges
- Iowan leading board of national council that promotes composting
- Report: Cancer cases are rising in Iowa while cancer deaths fall