Story County’s county seat is marking its 150th anniversary over the next three weekends. Events underway today and tomorrow in Nevada include: The Heart of Iowa Run, a softball tournament and an ice cream social. Cecilia Dutton is helping coordinate Nevada’s Sesquicentennial Committee. She says there’ll be more events next weekend and over the Fourth of July holiday. Other events will include history walks, a cemetery walk, tours of historic homes and displays. Dutton says the town of seven-thousand gets its name from a landmark out west, but not the one you might assume. Nevada was actually -not- named for the state but for the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Dutton says she’s used to people saying the name of her town wrong. She says that’s one of the things about living in central Iowa, there are a lot of towns that have funny sounding names.Nevada was founded June 27th, 1853.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk