A deer that apparently couldn’t tell it was seeing itself and not a rival went to the right place Sunday. Des Moines police says the deer apparently charged its own reflection in the window of an eyeglasses store, crashed through a window and found itself inside the Whylie Eye Care Center, early yesterday morning. It wiped out racks of glasses, demolished vision testing equipment and shattered virtually ever mirror and window in the store. Animal control officers found the deer ramming its head against a mirror and hit it with two tranquilizer darts. The animal was badly injured though and had to be euthanized. Damage to the store is estimated between 40 and 50-thousand dollars — a co-owner said it looked like a murder scene.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Record highs possible today in the 70s, with wind chills tomorrow night below zero
- Farmers are concerned about dry soil headed into planting season
- DNR confirms dead gray wolf found near Davenport
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards