She didn’t win the crown over the weekend but the Iowa contestant in a national beauty pageant isn’t coming home empty-handed. The America’s Junior Miss National Finals were held in Mobile, Alabama, on Saturday night. An 18-year-old from California took the title this year, winning some 65-thousand dollars in scholarships and prizes. An Iowan is among the other young ladies who won honors. Rebekah Hamby, an 18-year-old from Ames, won the “Overall Spirit Award,” along with a five-thousand dollar scholarship. Hamby played the euphonium as her talent. She graduated from Ballard High School and will attend the University of Iowa in the fall. All Junior Miss contestants were judged in 5 categories: fitness, scholastics, poise, talent and interview.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime
- Grassley says little interest in Senate GOP for ObamaCare repeal