by Randy VanJasper County voters approved a bond issue Tuesday that’ll see the building of a seven-and-a-half million dollar jail near Newton. About ten percent of the county’s registered voters took part in the special election, with 61-percent voting in favor of the bond issue, which needed 60-percent approval. Construction of the new jail should begin before winter with prisoners moved from the current downtown Newton jail and into the new facility by December of 2004.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Thousands of dollars missing in apparent hack of Dyersville city email
- House Democrats back state directed retirement savings accounts
- Hinson says temporary federal spending plan likely by Friday deadlie
- Sen. Grassley to question Sec. Vilsack on passage of Farm Bill
- Just back from the border, Nunn talks with Iowans about stopping opioids