North Iowa Area Community College in Mason City has a new football coach. David Gillespie was introduced today as the new coach of the Trojans. He takes over a program that finished 3-8 a year ago.Gillespie was chosen over 40 other applicants for the job that became open when former coach Tyler Sisco stepped down due to health concerns. Gillespie says he is ready to get going. Gillespie has spent the last six years on the coaching staff at the University of Nebraska as the running backs coach and as the Assistant Athletic Director for Football. He says fans should not expect NIACC to come out running the option all the time next year just because that was a staple at Nebraska.Gillespie has had the chance to work under some big names in college football including legendary Cornhusker Coach Tom Osborne. He says working with these coaches has helped him tremendously.Besides being an assistant at Nebraska on two occasions, Gillespie has worked as an assistant at the University of Kansas and has been a head coach in the high school ranks. He will also serve as an enrollment specialist in the Department of Admissions at NIACC.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Ramaswamy calls on Iowa’s governor, GOP rivals to take a stand on carbon pipelines
- Warmer weather is on the way
- Lawsuit challenges Iowa law on sexually-graphic books, discussions of sexual orientation in K-6 classes
- Iowa players honored by B1G
- Iowa’s DeJean and Taylor are finalists for national awards