Championship games are set at the state high school baseball tournament and the top seed in class 4A was ousted during Friday’s semifinal round. Josh Evans slammed a three run homer as part of a six run second inning as ninth rated Des Moines Lincoln surprised second ranked Ankeny 11-2. He says he was looking for an off speed pitch, but got one over the plate and hit it out. Lincoln coach Alex Quijano on the lopsided score. He says they’re a good ballclub, but says this type of game could happen to anyone. He says he’s happy for the seniors.Ankeny coach Mark Hey says it was a good season and they don’t want the disappointing finish to cloud the good things they did during the season.Sophomore shortstop Layne Swartzentruber slammed a three run homer as Mid-Prairie advanced to the 2A championship with a 12-6 win over East Marshall. Mid-Praire had fallen behind 4-0 in the first. He says they knew they could come back and they just kept trying to put the ball into play. He says the homer came at the right time, as he says he’d been struggling a little bit.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime
- Grassley says little interest in Senate GOP for ObamaCare repeal