Four champions will be crowned at the state softball tournament in Fort Dodge today. In Class 4A, top-ranked Cedar Rapids Jefferson plays Dowling Catholic. Dowling pitcher Stephanie Ackerson has thrown a no-hitter and a perfect game in the tournament. In the Class 3A championship, third-ranked Spirit Lake plays Waukee. Waukee’s a surprise entrant, as at one point in the season Waukee lost 10 of 12 games. Coach Jen Slauson says they turned the corner late in the season. Slauson says it’s a very young team that had to learn they could win and now “they’re seasoned veterans now.”‘ In class 2A, Woodward-Granger returns to the championship game for the first time in five years with a matchup against fourth-rated Clear Creek-Amana. In Class 1A, Cardinal played Woodbury Central.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk