Former Iowa State four-time national wrestling champion Cael Sanderson is headed for Athens where he is a favorite to win an Olympic medal. Sanderson will compete for the U.S. freestyle team at 185 pounds and he earned the silver medal at the World Championships in 2003. Sanderson says he’s expecting a medal, he hopes to win a gold, more importantly he says he just wants to go wrestle the best tournament of his life. Sanderson will try to approach the competition like any other tournament. He says he’s worked towards wrestling at the Olympics and he hopes to get the results he’s dreamed of. I-S-U coach Bobby Douglas is one of the U.S. coaches and says the Americans have high hopes. Douglas says “the world of wrestling has gotten a lot tougher.” but they are expecting to have good results. Sanderson will have plenty of time to get used to his surroundings. He does not begin competing until August 27th.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime
- Grassley says little interest in Senate GOP for ObamaCare repeal