Authorities in western Iowa have arrested two girls for allegedly starting a fire.Officials in Jefferson took 12-year-old Kelsey Reed and 14-year-old Alexis Jordan into custody Thursday after the two allegedly attempted to start a fire in a Jefferson business district building Wednesday. Because it is an active criminal investigation, Jefferson police will not speculate on a motive, but the mother of Kelsey Reed does live in one of the building’s second floor apartments. The fire was started in the stairway leading to the second floor. Limited damage was reported. Reed faces a first-degree arson charge. She is being held by the Department of Human Services. Jordan is charged with a less-serious count of reckless use of fire.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk