Iowa State Olympic wrestling gold medalist Cael Sanderson is entering a new profession. The four-time undefeated NCAA champion has joined the staff of Cyclone coach Bobby Douglas as an assistant coach. Sanderson has worked as an administrative assistant to athletics director Bruce Van De Velde the last two years. He says coming out of college, that job gave him the freedom to train and hit the tournaments he needed to be ready for the Olympics. Sanderson says joining the coaching staff does not mean the end of his competitive career. He says that was part of the negotiations, to allow him to still train while coaching. Athletic director Bruce Van De Velde says they felt it was important to keep Sanderson at ISU as somebody who’s been a great ambassador and a role model. Van De Velde says Sanderson will be able to pursue the opportunities that come with winning an Olympic gold medal.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Sheriff releases update on search for missing western Iowa trucker
- Senate GOP aims to eliminate state income tax
- With deer season underway, Iowa hunters are urged to secure their shotguns
- Register’s ‘Iowa Poll’ shows Trump lead growing
- Feenstras’ Sioux Center event for presidential hopefuls focuses on faith