Honorable knights and fair maidens may find a home in central Iowa this weekend. The Des Moines Renaissance Faire and Fall Feast is underway. Spokeswoman Lynne Melssen says the two-day event recreates a European royal pageant — and she plays the queen in the reinactment group. The festival itself is moat-deep in entertainment.Attractions include live-steel sword fighting, riders on horseback, comedy, musicians, pirates, storytelling and magic. Melssen says local students will be facing off in a catapult-building contest in addition to Shakespeare monologue competitions. She says there’s also roving royalty. The event is underway at Water Works Park in Des Moines today and tomorrow. For more information, surf to “www.festint.com” or call (515) 331-8211.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature
- ‘Religious Freedom’ bill wins final legislative approval, heads to governor
- House votes to restrict DEI programs at Iowa, ISU and UNI
- Warm weather wakes up ticks, so wear insect repellant
- Well-stocked pet disaster relief trailer is now based in central Iowa