The fate of a Fairfield insurance agent accused of sex crimes remains up in the air after the jury in his case declared a mistrial. The trial of 41-year-old Lawerence Martin Smith Junior of rural Libertyville has been going on since last Tuesday. The jury got the case Friday and deliberated well into the night before being sent home by the judge after being unable to to come to a decision. Smith was arrested in May of 2003 and is accused of abusing his teenage daughter between 1997 and 2000. He’s charged with 20 counts of incest seven counts of third-sexual abuse and two counts of child endangerment.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Error causes Iowa Lottery to report wrong numbers for Monday Powerball drawing
- UNI receives large donation to help with Campanile renovation
- November 2023 in Iowa? Likely among 20 driest on record
- Casey DeSantis a key surrogate for DeSantis2024 in Iowa
- Fire damages buildings in downtown Webster City