Vampires and witches are good stand-by costumes, but one expert says this year’s in-the-know trick-or-treaters are looking to Hollywood for Halloween terror attire. Melissa Hawk runs the Theatrical Shop in West Des Moines which sells and rents costumes. She says movie themes have been very big this year, including Scooby Doo, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. Hawk says even classic movies are being revived in costume — especially the Wizard of Oz as large families or groups can run with that theme. Her shop can make you up as Dorothy, the Tin Man, Glenda, the Scarecrow, the Lion, the Wicked Witch, flying monkeys, munchkins or the Emerald City guard. Hawk says costumes can be purchased for 20 to 60-dollars while the rentals run around 25-dollars a day. She says you can get by for 15-dollars or less by getting creative. Some people just buy an eye mask and a cape to create their own superheroes, like Super-shopper or Duct Tapeman.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- New challenge to law banning books that describe sex acts from Iowa schools
- Ernst saved from choking during Senate GOP lunch
- Error causes Iowa Lottery to report wrong numbers for Monday Powerball drawing
- UNI receives large donation to help with Campanile renovation
- November 2023 in Iowa? Likely among 20 driest on record