If the rush of holiday shopping already has you down, there is an alternative.A website called “New Celebrations” has things you can talk about instead of carry in a shopping bag. The organization can put you in touch with a few gift items, though the selection’s small and consists mostly of coffee and other products from under-developed parts of the world that help support local communities. The New Celebrations website has a link to Iowa-based Alternatives for Simple Living, based in Sergeant Bluff, which offers stationery printed with “Buy Me Nothing, I’ll Love You Anyway,” as well as lots of books, flyers, and pamphlets for friends and for families with titles like “Whose Birthday Is It?” And there’s a list unveiling the religious symbolism of the 12 Days of Christmas, for those researching the holiday’s true meaning. Link to it at New Celebrations-dot-com.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature
- ‘Religious Freedom’ bill wins final legislative approval, heads to governor
- House votes to restrict DEI programs at Iowa, ISU and UNI