Iowans are getting into the spirit of the season by decorating their homes inside and out. While the sprucing up helps create a happy holiday mood, Brian Baker at the Safe Kids Coalition says it can also create safety hazards, especially with electric lights. Baker says to be looking for frayed wires, loose connections or bad sockets in the electrical cords and extension cords as you put them up. An electrical short could lead to a fire. He also says be careful not to overload an extension cord or outlet by plugging in too many things. It’s recommended only two or three strings of lights be put on one extension cord. Baker says parents have to keep their kids up-to-date on staying safe. News parents can make their decorated trees safer and prevent electrical burns by making sure the lights are hung out of the reach of young children. Also keep the trees away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators and heating vents. Some people celebrate the year-end holidays with candles which Baker says is an element that demands caution. He says always make sure to extinguish the candles before going to bed at night or before leaving the house. The U.S. Fire Administration estimates 16-hundred house fires every year nationwide are caused by candles during the holiday season. For more safety tips, log on to “www.safekids.org”.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature