An electrical problem appears to be the cause of a fire Wednesday afternoon that damaged three businesses in downtown Oelwein. Smoke was seen coming from a wall between the Bargain House furniture store and Consignments Plus clothing. Both businesses were evacuated as well as nearby apartments. A third business, a Goodwill Industries store, also sustained some damage. Firefighters had a hard time pinpointing the source of the fire as it was located between two firewalls. Fire crews also had to battle single-digit temperatures, though no one was reported hurt.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Senate backs ‘American Cream’ breed as Iowa’s official state horse
- Iowans are living longer, creating concern about paying for retirement
- State universities dealing with delays in FAFSA information being released
- Meteorologist says Iowa countryside is ‘extremely combustible’
- Iowa’s Sandfort claims pair of weekly honors