Fire struck the Colonial Manor nursing home in the western Iowa town of Anita on Saturday night. All residents had to be evacuated but Anita fire spokesman Duane Murphy says the fire was contained to one resident’s room. Murphy says it appears the fire started near some nick-knacks along a wall in the room. The sprinkler system went off like it was designed to do and the residents were evacuated without incident to the other side of the building. Two people had minor injuries — one resident and one nurse. The State Fire Marshal’s office has been called in to investigate.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk