A western Iowa lawman who killed a man after mistaking a cellular phone for a gun is headed to court. A Shelby County Sheriff’s deputy who was indicted last week for voluntary manslaughter entered a written plea of NOT guilty on Wednesday before a grand jury. Deputy Chad Butler is charged in the death of 41-year-old Dwayne Jens of Hancock in late December. Butler shot Jens after a chase because he thought Jens had a dangerous weapon in his vehicle. The case is expected to go to trial April 26th.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Sound and video updates planned for Iowa State sports venues
- State universities requesting room and board increases to handle higher costs
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record