Steve Alford’s former coach came to his defense on the Big-12 teleconference. Texas Tech coach Bob Knight said Alford has done a good job at Iowa under the circumstances. Knight says losing Pierre Pierce was a real setback, particularly in the middle of the season. Iowa blew out Texas Tech when the teams played in Chicago this past December. Knight said he doesn’t know what Iowa people expect. He says “Iowa is not a state that supplies an awful lot of basketball players. I mean there are good kids there, not a lot of them.” He says that’s the same at Iowa and Iowa State. Knight says Alford has put together a team that’s “pretty good.” Knight and Alford publicly fueded after Alford took the Iowa job in 1999 and Knight was still at Indiana. They made up a couple of years ago.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk