An eastbound Burlington-Northern coal train derailed in Mount Pleasant this morning at about 6:30. At least six cars jumped the tracks and spilled their coal, closing two railroad crossings to traffic. Passenger and freight train traffic may be stopped for as long as 24 hours though Amtrak service -may- be able to resume late tonight. A firm from Galesburg, Illinois, is dispatched to clean up the coal. The cause of the derailment is under investigation. No one was reported hurt.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime
- Grassley says little interest in Senate GOP for ObamaCare repeal