The 2005 Iowa Legislature adjourned for the year just before 11 o’clock Friday night. So, what did the Legislature do to you and for you? If you’re underage and caught drinking, you’ll pay a fine that’s twice as high. If you’re a student at Iowa, Iowa State or U-N-I, your tuition bill may go up in January because legislators didn’t give the universities as much money as university officials had wanted. If you’re a meth-maker, you’re finding it harder to buy the ingredients to cook the illegal drug. A new state law that took effect Saturday puts limits on the purchase of certain over-the-counter cold and allegery medications that’re used to make meth. If you are a dangerou sex offender released from prison, you’ll have to wear an electronic bracelet so someone can monitor your movements. If you’re a farmer who wants to buy a wind turbine to make a little extra cash, you may be able to qualify for a tax credit. But if you’re a smoker, you will not have to pay higher state taxes on your cigarettes.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Congressman Feenstra says soaring national debt continues to be a concern
- Federal judge blocks carbon pipeline zoning rules in two Iowa counties
- Weather warm up is on the way
- Model shows how weather can impact the success of deer hunters
- Study showing rise in suicide rates could be particular worry for Iowa