The owner of the Iowa Cubs says baseball’s steroid scandal has harmed the sport. Michael Gartner says it took too long for baseball’s leaders to react. “It hasn’t affected minor league baseball at all, by any measurement,” Gartner says. “I think that it’s been an awful thing for major league baseball. I think that major league baseball is finally dealing with it.” Gartner says history will treat the scandal the same way historians have treated the “Black Sox” scandal. Players on the Chicago White Sox were accused of throwing the 1919 World Series for gamblers. They were acquitted by a court, but they were banned from playing major league baseball. Gartner made the comments on the IPTV program “Iowa Press”.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- House bill calls for reviewing citations with all nursing home staff
- Help is available if you can’t resist betting during March Madness
- ‘Lost winter’ wraps up with Iowa’s 2nd warmest February on record
- Sewing Days planned as work resumes on large-scale Sioux City art project
- Bill to crack down on SWATTING calls awaits governor’s signature