A 30-year-old Minnesota man wanted for attempted murder in Dubuque could be on his way back to Iowa as soon as today. Thirty-year-old Andrew Herbsleb of Minnesota appeared yesterday (Thursday) before Judge Dorothy Bain in a circuit court in Wisconsin. She accepted a waiver of extradition by Herbsleb Thursday.
Herbsleb is accused of trying to run over his 16-year-old girlfriend’s father and step-grandfather at a Dubuque truck stop on June 25th. Herbsleb said he “Just wants to truth to be out,” saying he didn’t know he was in trouble. After he left central Minnesota with Kaylynn Cerqua, a 16-year-old runaway, the girl was picked up in Savanna Illinois and handed over to her father and grandfather.
When they stopped for gas on their way home, the girl ran from them and got into a car that had been following them, a car that ran over her father as it took off. He was treated and released from a Dubuque hospital and authorities issued a warrant for Herbsleb, for attempted murder. The two were taken into custody last weekend in Wausau, Wisconsin.
The judge at Thursday’s hearing asked Herbsleb, “Today you feel you have a clear mind?” and he replied, “I don’t want to sit any more. I want to get things taken care of.” The man’s family says he wasn’t in trouble when he left Minnesota, because the teenager, whose family said she’s run away often before, left with him willingly.
But a policeman in Illinois suffered a wrist injury in an altercation there, and police in Wisconsin who picked the girl up last weekend placed her in a juvenile facility until someone from Minnesota comes to take her home. Herbsleb could be brought to Iowa to face the attempted-murder charge as soon as today.