No one on RAGBRAI was hurt, but many of the bicyclists may’ve been awakened early this morning in Marengo by an explosion that leveled a house. The home of 73-year-old Dave Stevens is four miles south of Marengo — at least it used to be. About 1-20 A-M, he got out of bed and turned on a light which apparently triggered a blast so powerful, the house is now considered a total loss. The Iowa County sheriff says Stevens was badly hurt and it took him about 40 minutes to crawl to an outbuilding to find a working phone and call 9-1-1. Stevens was airlifted to University Hospitals in Iowa City. His condition report hasn’t been released. The sheriff says a natural gas leak is suspected of causing the explosion. The state Fire Marshal’s office is investigating.
You are here: / / Suspected gas leak triggers blast that levels house near Marengo, one man injured