Healthcare workers are reminding you to use caution when running machines such as generators. With many homes in Iowa still without power, some residents are turning to gas-powered generators to keep the power on and their homes heated.
According to Allen Hospital officials in Waterloo, they are caring for an undisclosed number of people who have carbon monoxide poisoning from running their generators indoors.
Everyone is reminded that gas motors produce carbon monoxide, and if generators are used indoors or any area without fresh air and venting, the carbon monoxide will build up to lethal levels in a short time. Carbon monoxide poisoning warning signs include headache and nausea.