An electrical malfunction is blamed for a fire that destroyed a Delaware County recycling warehouse. Firefighters from eight area departments were called out to Allied Waste Transfer Services of Iowa located near the town of Delaware. Smoke from the fire could be seen about 15 miles away.
According to authorities, an electrical transformer malfunctioned and sparked the fire. Allied employees attempted to douse the fire with extinguishers, but the flames spread. No one was injured. The facility had been used as a storage area for recyclable materials and other items.