The landmark "Craig Tap" in the small northwest Iowa town of Craig was destroyed by fire this weekend. Ireton Fire Chief Wayne Heuer says his department was paged about 11 A.M. Friday, and when they got there, the fire was already burning through the floor and two ceilings, and into the attic space of the old building, owned by Angie Sherill.

Heuer says the building is a complete loss, and it’s not known if there are plans to rebuild. Heuer says Fire Marshal Dave Schipper was there, and the cause of the fire has been determined to be a space heater hooked up to an extension cord that was too light for the heavy electrical load, and failed. Heuer says crews were on scene about 3 hours, and used about 30,000 gallons of water to fight the fire. 

(Note this story was updated at 1:03, the fire was Friday)