Health officials are waiting for confirmation from lab work, but believe a college student in Cedar Rapids died of bacterial meningitis. The 21-year-old victim’s name is not being released, but 10 people who were in close contact with the man have been given antibiotic treatment. The student attended Kirkwood Community College.
Curtis Dickson is with the Linn County Public Health Department. He says the student also had H1N1, which contributed to the suspected case of bacterial meningitis. Symptoms of bacterial meningitis include a high fever, headache and stiff neck. Bacterial meningitis is separate from viral meningitis, which is not considered fatal.
Contributed by Justin Foss, KCRG-TV, Cedar Rapids