Nearly one thousand hogs died in a fire at a confinement facility near Wellman Sunday. Wellman Fire Chief Jeremy Peck says his department was called out about 3:45 Sunday afternoon.
He says they arrived to find the eastern portion of the nursery engulfed in flames. He says they immediately called the Kalona Fire Department for mutual aide, and together they were able to extinguish the fire. Wellman firefighters were again called to the facility at about 10:00 last night to put out some remaining hot embers.
Peck says nothing about the fire seemed suspicious and that it was likely caused by electrical problems or a faulty heater. The confinement is owned by Dave Schuman. The hogs belonged to David Eichelberger.
Cotnributed by Nick Wilkens, KCII, Washington