A Fairfield Inn hotel was evacuated this morning in Ottumwa. Authorities say it happened after a child became sick in the pool area and other guests reported feeling ill.

The Ottumwa Fire Department was called to the scene to test the air with a gas monitor. Fire Captain Kerry McDonald says the reading found dangerous levels of carbon monoxide poisoning in the pool area. Hotel guests were evacuated to the lobby while all three floors of the building were ventilated.

Ambulance crews responded to the hotel but no one was transported to the hospital. McDonald said everyone was “pretty lucky” and the situation could’ve turned out a lot worse. The high carbon monoxide levels were caused by a problem with the unit used to heat the hotel’s pool and spa.

Mike Buchanan, KBIZ, Ottumwa