The Iowa Department of Natural Resources says an Ankeny man was injured and his dog was killed while being shocked in the water at Clear Lake.
Thirty-one-year-old Nickolas Greiner and other family members were throwing balls into the lake Sunday morning at his parents’ home on the lake when one of the dogs started struggling and went underwater near the hoist of a neighbor’s dock.
Greiner jumped into the water to help the dog when he also started struggling. Family members then recognized what was taking place and disconnected the electrical feed to the dock.
Greiner was removed from the water and taken to Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa in Mason City by ambulance after suffering burns and bruising from being shocked.
D.N.R. conservation officer Ben Bergman says the incident is a good reminder for dock owners, swimmers and fishermen about the potential dangers of having electrical service running to docks and why dock standards include having electrical service that meets federal standards.
By Bob Fisher, KRIB, Mason City