Sioux City investigators have identified the man who died in a house fire Thursday morning. Officials say 41-year-old Brian Marshall died from smoke inhalation. Sioux City fire marshal, Mark Aesoph, says the fire was caused by an electrical problem.

“It was determined that there was a fault in the light fixture in one of the bedrooms, the fire appeared to have originated from there, spread through some of the insulation..into attic and spread into the structure itself,” Aesoph says. There were smoke detectors in the home, but Aesoph says they were apparently not working.

He says they located three smoke alarms in the house and two of them were not functional, and they were unable to determine if the third one was functioning at the time of the fire. Aesoph says it’s another reminder to regularly test you smoke detectors and be sure that they have fresh batteries.

By Woody Gottburg, KSCJ, Sioux City