Authorities in southwest Iowa’s Taylor County say a Lenox man died over the weekend from injuries he suffered after a gas can exploded while he was burning debris. According to the Lenox Police Department, 75-year-old James M. Wurster died at the Burn Treatment Center at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics in Iowa City early Saturday morning.
Wurster had been burning debris at around 11:20 a.m. Friday, when fumes from a nearby five-gallon gas can ignited, causing the can to explode, showering Wurster with flaming gasoline. The man was transported by ambulance to the hospital in Corning before being flown to Iowa City where he died at around 3 a.m. Saturday.
By Ric Hanson, KJAN, Atlantic