An elderly woman has been identified as the victim of a weekend house fire in western Iowa. Firefighters were sent to a home just east of Council Bluffs around 7 p.m. Saturday.
While two people escaped the fire, one person did not. The Pottawattamie County Sheriff’s Office reports 101-year-old Vivian Swain died from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by smoke and soot inhalation. The cause of the fire remains under investigation. The house was destroyed, with the total loss estimated between $300,000 and $400,000.