A state facility that cares for Iowans with significant intellectual disabilities is being fined $2000 after a resident swalled three batteries.
The incident happened June 2 at the Glenwood Resource Center. According to a statement from the Iowa Department of Human Services, the resident “received treatment at a nearby medical center” and “a few days later” was discharged back to the care of the state facility in Glenwood. No other details have been provided by state officials, such as where the resident found the batteries.
The Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals levied the $2000 fine against the facility for “failing to provide required supervision” of the resident. The superintendent of the Glenwood Resource Center promises “furhter corrective action” to prevent something like this from happening again.
The Glenwood Resource Center cares for about 250 residents who have significant behavior challenges or medical issues due to an intellectual disability.