Imagine being a firefighter and being dispatched to fight a fire at an address that’s all-too familiar. It happened this week to a north-central Iowa fire chief after flames struck the house where he grew up.

Stacyville firefighters were called shortly after 11:00 A.M. on Thursday to the home of Joan Adams. She’s the mother of Stacyville’s fire chief Jay Adams. When the chief arrived at the scene, he found the house was fully engulfed in flames.

Joan Adams had lived in the house for 59 years, raising six children. Four of Joan’s grandsons, who are also with the Stacyville Fire Department, assisted at the scene. Nobody was injured in the fire, with the house being declared as a total loss.

(Reporting by Bob Fisher, KRIB, Mason City)