Fire-truckThirteen people were treated at the hospital after inhaling chlorine gas at a Mason City hotel over the weekend. The fire department was called to the Holiday Inn Express on State Highway 122 West shortly before 11:45 yesterday morning.

Fire officials say bleach and acid were mixed accidentally in the laundry room on the first floor of the hotel, creating chlorine gas. The fumes were mainly contained to the first floor but the entire hotel was evacuated as a precaution.

Six of the 13 people treated at Mercy Medical Center-North Iowa were taken there by ambulance, with all 13 being treated and released on Sunday. The hotel will reopen this morning.

(Reporting by Bob Fisher, KRIB, Mason City)