Ames Fire Department photo of burned tent.

Ames Fire Department photo of burned tent.

Some Iowa State students camping outside Hilton Coliseum narrowly escaped a disaster early this morning.

ISU Police say three students were sleeping inside a tent that caught on fire around 3 a.m.

They were able to escape and no one was injured. The fire was started by a propane heater inside the tent. The damage to the tent is estimated at $1,000.

ISU students started lining up outside Hilton as early as Wednesday night, hoping to secure a seat near the court on Monday night for the Cyclones’ game against Kansas.

The Jayhawks are ranked third in the AP college basketball poll. The Cyclones, who beat top-ranked Oklahoma in Ames earlier this week, are ranked 19th.


Ames Fire Department photo.