The Iowa Finance Authority is awarding $730,000 to be split between 16 homeless and domestic violence shelters in Iowa.
The money is to help with the cost of providing essential services and emergency shelter operations.
Ashley Jared is spokeswoman for the IFA and says it’s a very competitive grant process every year.
Jared says, “Organizations apply to the Iowa Finance Authority and then we appoint a panel of judges to score those applications and then award the funds to certainly-deserving homeless and domestic violence agencies throughout the state.”
She says the need is great for these agencies.
“The Iowa Finance Authority administers the Iowa Council on Homelessness and each year they do a report on the need that’s out there in Iowa,” Jared says. “Last year, 17,300 Iowans experienced homelessness or were at risk of becoming homeless, so this funding is going to directly help those Iowans.”
Reporting by Pat Powers, KQWC, Webster City
Projects awarded Shelter Assistance Fund awards: (Listed by home location)
- Ames Shelter Housing Corporation/Emergency Residence Project, Award: $49,375
- Cedar Rapids, Foundation 2, Inc., Award: $50,000
- Clinton Pathway Living Center, Inc.. Award: $50,000
- Council Bluffs New Visions Homeless Services, Award: $47,500
- Davenport, Family Resources, Inc., Award: $50,000
- Des Moines Beacon of Life, Award: $38,000
- Catholic Council for Social Concern, Inc. (Catholic Charities), Award: $50,000
- Family Promise of Greater Des Moines, Award: $20,000
- Youth Emergency Services & Shelter, Award: $50,000
- Dubuque Community YMCA/YWCA, Award: $47,500
- Opening Doors, Award: $47,500
- Fort Dodge Housing Agency, Award: $45,175
- Mason City, Community Kitchen of North Iowa, Inc.. Award: $43,130
- Muscatine Center for Social Action, Award: $47,500
- Sioux City, Council on Sexual Assault & Domestic Violence, Award: $47,500
- Waterloo/Cedar Falls, The Salvation Army Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Award: $47,500