Cedar Rapids firefighters saved the family and their Christmas presents from this duplex.

Christmas presents were saved from a house fire in Cedar Rapids last night.

The fire happened in a two-story duplex on the city’s southeast side around 8 p.m. Cedar Rapids Fire officials say three adults, seven children and a dog got out safely and firefighters grabbed Christmas gifts and a holiday tree from the first floor.

A woman who escaped the home told KCRG-TV she believes one of her kids found a lighter and started playing with it in a bedroom. The families knocked out of their homes by the fire are getting help from the Red Cross. There is no word on the extent of damage in the house.

(Photo courtesy of KCRG)