Hundreds of domestic abuse victims across the state may soon feel a littlemore secure. Cellular phones are being donated today to a coalition ofdomestic violence shelters, law enforcement agencies and district attorney’soffices.Lori McConville is spokeswoman for U-S Cellular. She says domestic abusevictims often don’t know where to turn when they’re in an emergencysituation. She says the phones offer a sense of security and empowerment.McConville says the dozens of shelters across the Hawkeye State willdetermine how the 500 phones are distributed.The company is also providing victims with cellular voice mailboxes socounselors, attorneys or family members can leave messages without fear ofinterception.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Treehouse Village attraction to open soon at Iowa Arboretum
- Iowa Senate votes to end gender balance rule for boards, commission
- Educational tour on stopping scammers to visit several Iowa cities
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer