Governor Vilsack & other state leaders will head to Spirit Lake tomorrow to hold a town meeting on a child abuse case. Residents are upset about the state’s action –or lack of action– which some allege may’ve allowed the death of a 2-year-old girl, whose mother & her boyfriend are charged with murder. State Representative Greg Stevens called for the forum.Stevens, a democrat from Milford, says residents are angered because reports are circulating that between four and 20 reports were filed on the possible abuse of Shelby Duis, yet she was never removed from the home. Stevens says the state’s records on the case will NOT be made public.An autopsy on the child found she died from injuries inflicted over several weeks, perhaps months. Stevens couldn’t say whether the Department of Human Services acted properly in the case.The town meeting is scheduled for 1 p-m Saturday at the Lakes Area Senior Center in Spirit Lake.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Senate votes to end gender balance rule for boards, commission
- Educational tour on stopping scammers to visit several Iowa cities
- Iowa Senate passes religious freedom bill on 31-16 vote
- Supreme Court considers Sioux City case involving the right to call a lawyer
- Webster City man facing animal neglect charges