The girls state tournament featured an upset in the 3-A semifinals. Fourth ranked Central Lee used an 11-0 run late in the game to oust top ranked Union 60-52. Angie Schinstock led Central Lee with 24-points and added 12 rebounds.Central Lee will take on defending champion Washington in Saturday night’s title game. The Demons got 30-points from Stephanie Rich to down Decorah 50-40. Washington coach Monte Davis says while they are the defending champs it is a different team.Topped ranked West Des Moines Dowling and second ranked Cedar Falls will meet in tonight’s 4-A title game. Dowling held Cedar Rapids Xavier to just five points in a 14-minute stretch to pull away for a 52-34 win. The Maroons took the lead for good in the second quarter despite being without senior standout Jen Lillis who was on the bench with foul trouble. Dowling coach Bob Hansen says they pulled together as a team. Dowling will bid for a third title in the last five years. He says it’s such a long grueling road that he never gets tired of heing in the championship game.Cedar Falls advanced with a 74-47 win over Davenport West. Cedar Falls coach Dan List says this is what his team has worked for and it’s nice to finally make it to the championship. List says his team will approach the title game as an underdog. He says it will be the first game this season in which they aren’t the favorite.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk