What affect, if any, will George W. Bush’s 1976 drunken driving conviction have on the presidential race? Radio Iowa’s O.Kay Henderson stopped in a Des Moines coffee shop this morning to hear what Iowans are saying.A Des Moines city councilwoman was holding a meeting with a constituent at one table, and a med school student had her books spread out on another as she studied and sipped coffee. Some of the gourmet coffee and tea drinkers had no opinion or hadn’t heard about Bush’s drunken driving arrest. One woman said she wasn’t going to vote for him anyway, so it doesn’t matter. Another woman says she thinks Bush is a “lovely man” and this shouldn’t have any impact on the election. One woman says the whole campaign has been a joke so far and this latest revelation isn’t any different.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!