In the class 4A quarterfinals at the boys’ state tournament, Sioux City East had a late rally come up short as top seeded Urbandale held on for a 57-55 victory. Josh McKinney led Urbandale with 18-points but the J-Hawks struggled at the free throw line making just 11 of 22. Urbandale shot just 42-percent for the game but McKinney says they will take the win. East fell behind 20-10 at the end of one but Coach Jeff Vanderloo was proud of the way his team battled back. Indianola jumped off to a quick start in a 61-45 upset of once-beaten Waterloo East. Mark Campbell had 19-points and said it was the Indians’ best performance of the season. Waterloo East has only one senior on the roster and Coach Steve McGraw says that inexperience showed early in the game. Pete Eggers had 18-points as Dubuque Wahlert held off a second half rally to down Mason City 57-47. Eggers says tournament experience was a plus. Jeff Horner led Mason City with 17-points but the Mohawks could never get the game tied in their third quarter rally.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Creighton economist finds recession signs in Mid-America region
- Iowa’s animal shelters are running out of space to keep dogs and cats
- Iowa’s congressional delegation votes to expel Santos
- Iowa Supreme Court rules notes left at home with rainbow flag were a hate crime
- Grassley says little interest in Senate GOP for ObamaCare repeal