A former minister from Oxford Junction slated for trial on charges of sexual abuse of a child has pleaded guilty. 32-year-old Douglas Popejoy pleaded guilty in Linn County Court to lascivious acts with a child and neglect of a dependent, both felonies, and to lesser charges of having indecent contact with a child and sexual exploitation of a minor. In exchange for the guilty pleas, the court dropped one more charge, of second-degree sexual abuse. Popejoy confessed to a supervisor and was arrested in February. He was sentenced on all the counts, and will serve the sentences concurrently. Popejoy was also ordered ordered to pay 4-thousand dollars in fines as well as victim-restitution including counseling costs.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards
- Supreme Court rules in favor of Iowa Legislators in lawsuit involving voting laws
- Dry February keeps most of state in drought conditions
- This is the Iowa Day of Kindness, so be Iowa Nice!