Folks who’ve lived in northeastern Iowa for a while may shudder a bit when recalling today’s date. This is the 33rd anniversary of the deadly tornadoes that sliced across the region. The twisters caused millions of dollars damage in Charles City, Oelwein and Maynard. Oelwein Fire Chief Wally Rundel says there are still lingering signs of the 1968 tornadoes, as one house still has a board in its side from the tornado. Rundel says the twister that hit Oelwein did a great deal of damage in the downtown area.Rundel says the deadly storm system spun off several tornadoes in northeast Iowa that afternoon on May 15th, 1968. The worst hit nearby Maynard.One person died in the tornado in Oelwein and the number of injured was never accurately counted.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Iowa Supreme Court throws out search that led to charge against Texas trucker
- DeSantis would put National School Choice plan in comprehensive tax package
- Iowa food bank shatters all-time record as specter of food insecurity looms larger
- Iowa United First Aid program helps improve rural emergency response
- Iowans see benefits in raising goats for milk