A group funded by the nation’s alcohol distillers is campaigning against underage drinking. “The Century Council” is asking parents to get involved in keeping teens from drinking. Spokesperson Maria Tilden says with all the graduation and prom parties going on, kids have a lot of opportunities to drink. Tilden says the Century Council wants to help parents start a conversation that encourages teens to say “no” to alcohol. They’ve joined with counselors to develop a website with tips at www.centurycouncil.org.While parents might think their teens don’t listen anymore, Tilden says that’s not the case.Tilden says studies show children listen to, and are influenced by what their parents say, if parents will just make the effort.
SEARCH THIS SITE
- Record highs possible today in the 70s, with wind chills tomorrow night below zero
- Farmers are concerned about dry soil headed into planting season
- DNR confirms dead gray wolf found near Davenport
- ARL of Iowa rescues 24 cats from ‘deplorable’ conditions
- Deadline nears to nominate Iowans of character for awards